Dennis was in charge of the computer part of his NBEA (National Business Educator's Association) convention this year again. It was held in Boston. I got to go with him 20 years ago - but I was 8 months pregnant with Mike. We took Grandma Garner then and had fun but were only able to spend a few days there. Knowing that Den would be working most of the time, and because I wanted to go and really check out the Revolutionary War sights, we took Teresa for me to hang out with. Dennis did have to work most of the time but Teresa and I got to really see some wonderful sites. We followed the Freedom Trail, seeing many monuments, museums, churches (especially the Old North Church - one if by land, two if by sea), the Fine Arts Museum, the Aquarium, Old Iron-sides - The USS Constitution, a WWII destroyer, Bunker Hill, Mike's Pastry for cannolis, the amazing library with it's amazing architecture, the "Cheers" bar, the Boston Commons park where many hangings had occurred and the shallow frog pond where men could dunk their wives if they were tired of nagging. We shopped and had so much fun. We got really brave and rode the subway, the train, a cab, a city bus, the trolley, and a ferry. Boston was the cleanest city I've ever seen. Even the sand was swept up. There were hired people with brooms and dustpans or pokers to clean everything up (like at Lagoon).












We even went up to Salem and had a tour of that town. I was surprised to learn that the entire Witch episode only lasted 8 months. Huh. They compared it to the McCarthy era during the Cold War and the witch hunt he had going. That city did have a creepy feel, to me. It was mentioned that there were over 1000 witches that belong to the Wica church, that live in Salem today. Nathanial Hawthorne's House of Green Gables is in view with the three chimneys on top.
It was a most wonderful trip!!! I can't wait to go back again, some day!


No comments:
Post a Comment