


The Yucatan Peninsula was more fantastic than my dreams ever prepared me for. The sights and wonders were grandiose. I can see why people make this trip more than once.
Seeing the Mayan temples was really a dream come true. I can't believe how spread out the buildings at each temple were. I was shocked at how many are uncovered and how many more are still remaining, covered with jungle. I expected to see archeologists but saw none. I loved hearing the Howler Monkeys that don't fight but howl at each other. The loudest howler, wins the woman. The Mayan calendar and Chichen Itza were where we got our calendar system from. They had their lives figured out by the calendar and I'd like to study it more and try some of their methods; IE, knowing when to plant and harvest, etc. The stairs were crazy and of course, we had to climb to the tops and see what we could see. I wish I could ask them what the various buildings, various pictographs, and teeny rooms with bed like structures were.
One of the things I've done before, during, and after Mexico, was to read 3 and 4 Nephi. Many of the places we saw could have been Book of Mormon sites. One place could have been Bountiful, where Christ came to America after his death. Truly, that site had a sacred feel to it. However, many of the sites felt sacred. We know that many lives were sacrificed in the wicked years and many wars were fought on those grounds. To think about Moroni and Mormon, even Nephi and his family, walking the same paths that we did is pretty special. Makes me want to tear up a bit.
Going through the border into and out of Belize was exciting. We weren't sure if Karlene or the whole group would get stopped or have to pay a fine because she'd not brought one of her little documents. Heavenly Father saw us through with no incidents at all. It was scary to pass in front of the soldiers with their big weapons pointed almost at us. We got to take one of the most amazing boat rides with spider monkeys, crocodiles, iguanas, and fantastic birds along the way.
Getting to see the Caribbean Ocean was a real highlight. It is SO blue. We got to snorkel on our last morning there. I think swallowing water when my tube filled up is what gave me a week-long stomach ache when I got home. It was worth every minute of it. (Remind me to use ear plugs next time so my ears don't ache after, too.)
I can't wait to see it all again. However... I was sure glad to rinse my toothbrush under the tap and drink from a fountain when I got home. I'm grateful for toilet seats, good plumbing, clean water, safe food,and our jobs that give us a nice standard of living. I give thanks to my parents, Den, and Heavenly Father for my blessings.
No comments:
Post a Comment