Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Atonement

In Sunday School, we've studied the Atonement of our Savior. I need to share my gratitude for what He has done for me.

I have often pictured Christ in the upper chambers, washing the filthy feet of his apostles. He had such great love for them and showed that the King of this world could serve as the lowest servant would. I've pictured him in Gethsemane. The picture that Melba Hansen did of Him kneeling at a big rock under an olive tree, that used to be at the front of the First Ward chapel, has always stuck with me. The moon hidden behind the branches and the cloudy sky showed how much the earth didn't even want to be a part of that terrible event. The fact that he was able to perform the monumental task of paying for the sins of the world is beyond any comprehension.

I have imagined the scenes of the crowning of the thorns, the scourging, the mock trials; the walk to Golgotha with the crossbeam across his torn and bleeding shoulders and back; the nailing of his hands, wrists, and feet to the beam; the jostling as the soldiers were lifting him up on the cross. I can't imagine the horror of the tortured nerves across his chest as his arms pulled and suffocated him or the immense pain of pushing on the nail in his feet to relieve the strain on the arms and chest. Gratitude and relief are always felt when I finally get to the part where He says, "It is done."

I know that many other people have suffered crucifixion. It is a horrible way to be put to death. But, we know that only one man could suffer in Gethsemane as Christ did. Jesus, alone, paid for our sins that we might be able to repent and keep trying to do better.

I feel such gratitude and love for my Savior for all he has done for me. I must always be thankful for my blessings and never, never forget the big picture. I can't wait for the day when I can kneel at His feet and thank him personally.

No comments: